Friday, 19 October 2012

Flower Tutorial - Material

Hi Peeps
A few of you have asked how I did them...... so here goes......... my first tutorial on a quick but pretty material flower, I will do a couple of others over the next few weeks so keep your eyes open.

I've done the easiest to do first I think ...... I'll do another next week showing a bit more fiddly one ha ha



 


Here's what you need ...... I tend to use cheap as chips lining material but you can use any you have, just bear in mind thicker fabrics wont look as floaty. Needle and thread .....I use invisible thread but any will do and a couple of beads or a button or brad.







Take a strip of material approx 5 inches wide and 25 inches long (these sizes are up to you.. mine are just for a guide,  what your looking for are oblong shapes)

I've folded it into 4 layers but you could do as many as you wish. Pin through your layers to make it easy to cut out.




Cut out your oblong shape, and round the corners, I put a little wave in the end but you can just round it, its up to you ...... you roughly want a shape 3 x 4 inches, I prefer the shabby look so im not too neat ha ha


 
 
Next Take each layer and sew a running stitch through the center....... pull it tight and knot it off repeat with each of your pieces.

 
Layer up your 'petal' shapes and stitch through the middle a few times to hold them in place
 
 
Add a few beads or a button

 
 And Tah Dah you have a pretty flower,
 
Experiment with diffent sizes more layers etc add buttons or brad ?? anything you like.
I sew a circle of felt on the back for strength but a small piece of card works if you need it, it saves glue staining your petals or a base for attatching to hair bands or clips xx
 
  
 
Have fun
Be good
Kath xx

14 comments:

  1. Kath, what a fab tutorial, thank you so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that tutorial, Kath. Must try that. Wendy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial - thanks for sharing,
    Kate
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow wow they look fab xxxxxxxxxxx Thank you for sharing xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ever so much Kath I will definitely be having a go of doing these. A great tutorial and really easy to follow.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow thank you Kath you are amazing and the flowers are fabulous thank you so much for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are adorable, thanks for the instructions!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the tutorial, off to find some material!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely flowers Kath, thanks for the tutorial x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Flowers Kath and a great tutorial! TFS xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your lovely comment on my card on the SplodgeAway Blog, I love this flower, think I will have a go. Sam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting xx